Sudanese NHS doctor 'betrayed' after being refused entry onto evacuation flight to UK

newspotted
Site Admin

Sudanese NHS doctor 'betrayed' after being refused entry onto evacuation flight to UK

Post by newspotted »

Dr Abdulrahman Babiker is due back at work at the Manchester Royal Infirmary where he has been working for four years

By Joe Inwood
BBC Newsnight

An NHS doctor trapped in Sudan after visiting family for Eid has urged the government to fly him back to the UK, saying he feels "betrayed" after being turned away from evacuation flights.

Sudanese-born Dr Abdulrahman Babiker is due back on shift as a registrar at the Manchester Royal Infirmary on Tuesday.

Despite having a UK work permit, he cannot board an evacuation flight as they only accept UK passport holders.

The Foreign Office says it is prioritising British nationals.

It added that people in Dr Babikar's situation are allowed to enter the UK but must make their own way there.

Khartoum International Airport has been shut for almost two weeks due to the fighting, while the borders of neighbouring countries are hundreds of miles away from the capital.

BBC Two's Newsnight has learned of at least 24 NHS doctors in this position.

Dr Babiker, who has worked at the Manchester hospital for more than four years, told Newsnight: "To be honest I feel totally betrayed… I worked throughout Covid and I'm so disappointed."

Read more.